Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Mar 2009 18:25:53 -0500
From:         "Jack R." <jack007@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Lend the bus; who to say yes or no to?

Never... I don't even let my wife drive it, and always self park... never letting a valet park it! My wife of 30 years, wants to make sure we have another 30 years, and doesn't even ask to drive it... she is very content to read and take a nap in back while I drive.

When we purchased our 84 Westy in 1987, my brother-in-law wanted to borrow it, and I told my wife then that we will never lend it out to anyone. Heck, would you lend one of your children out??? Esp. if they are temperamental!?!?

Hi,

A bit related to the spring break story, but a more general question is who would you lend your VW bus, Vanagon or Westy to?

After having both some good and less god experiences (luckily not catastrophic), I have developed the following philosophy:

* I'll lend the bus only to someone who both will value it as much as I do, and who is sufficiently technically capable.

* The best way to become comfortable that a person fulfils the above two criteria is to work alongside that person on my or another similar bus.

Some example case stories that lead me to develop this principle:

When I was a student and postdoc, I made many of the parts needed for repair (e.g. fix and resurface Diesel vacuum pump instead of buying new) and for my 1.9TD engine swap. I used the student machine shop, and often there would be other students helping me.

After working with someone for a while it is very easy to tell both how much they value my bus (at times buses), and if they were technically adept or not. When asking to borrow the bus, some got the bus, others go my $250 Passat B2 TD (Quantum). (The Passat was originally intended to be a TD donor to my bus, but ran well enough after some fixup in used car lot that it was the daily driver for both me and several other students.)

Before college, at my parents, it was by no way a given that I or my sisters got to borrow my parents' car. My dad had me do minor chores on the car whenever I wanted to use it.

In college a friend's family had a nice wooden sailboat that we youngsters occasionally got to take for a sailing trip. However, we'd always take part in the maintenance chores. At first I though it a bit unusual (as a teenager) to be invited over to their cottage for sanding and varnishing, but now I appreciate that I learned how to prepare and varnish mahogany as well as my friend's grandfather.

So in summary, the personal value of my bus (and other belongings) go up the more I learn about, work on it and longer I keep it. Best way to find out if someone else is able to share this is to have them work along with you.

Some people will already be like you, some will eventually get it, but many will never get past the initial impression that it is a 25 year old bus, and though they may compliment it in words, it is with the reference frame of other vehicles in the junkyard (where they may silently think it belongs). Those are the types of people who need a new car with a warranty; not my bus.

Martin (and '82 Westy 1.9TD)

__________________________________________________________________ Yahoo! Canada Toolbar: Search from anywhere on the web, and bookmark your favourite sites. Download it now at http://ca.toolbar.yahoo.com. No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 8.0.237 / Virus Database: 270.11.5/1979 - Release Date: 03/01/09 17:46:00