Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Mar 2009 19:57:02 -0500
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott@BUNCOMBE.MAIN.NC.US>
Subject:      Re: automatic transmission rebuild - can I do-it-myself?

I did it a few years ago. I got a kit somewhere for $125 iirc that had all the clutches and seals and everything. The work was not hard and very interesting. Quite involved, but just a bunch of steps to follow in the Bentley. No special tools and only 1 or 2 critical measurements. The tranny I rebuilt had been out of use for a while and stored outdoors in FL. It didn't work right after the rebuild. I was very disappointed. Troubleshooting pointed to problems in the valve body. I then could find no further info or parts for the VB. I also had the Torque Converter rebuilt locally and it leaked at the seal as soon as I installed it. I was very disappointed about that too. I gave up and put in a known good used tranny.

Edward

At 05:58 PM 3/2/2009, you wrote: >Looking at the archives it seems that it's possible for a hobby-mechanic >like me to rebuild a Vanagon automatic tranny. Please tell me if I'm about >to make a huge blunder! I've got a spare tranny (it's an '81 van) that was >fairly noisy but still sort-of working when removed - shall I try rebuilding >it, and how long is it likely to take? It's not a catastrophe if the >rebuild isn't successful, though I'd prefer to discover before changing >transmissions -- it would be a pita to take out what's working OK (but also >noisy, and slightly leaking) and replace it with my rebuild then find it >broken. > >Are details for the tranny rebuild covered in Bentley, or anywhere else? >Are special tools needed? >What parts should I replace? I'm assuming the basic mechanical parts are >all ok, and that only seals etc need replacement. Are kits of parts >available? >How about the differential? Does that get rebuilt at the same time, or does >it separate off when the tranny is dismantled? > >Thanks for any clues >Al