Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Mar 2009 07:34:16 -0500
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: WBX 2.1 L Crankshaft End Play Adjustment
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>

Bob always told me that you cannot set end play with the pistons installed in the engine. I would leave your shims as is. Resurfacing the flywheel should not effect your end play since they don't resurface the part that goes against the shims. Hope this helps,

Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

John Rodgers wrote: > Ol' Red is about to go in for a new clutch and repair of a leaking > oil/flywheel seal. Engine has prol'ly 120,000 or so since the last time. > History is that the engine was rebuilt with new seals, but at around > 4,000 miles the engine started leaking at the flywheel seal. The tranny > had to be pulled (which had a new clutch at the time of rebuild) and the > seals replaced. No new end play shims at that time - as the engine was > virtually new. But, with 120,000 plus on it, with this new clutch going > in, re-surfacing of the flywheel, and new seals, should or does the > issue of the shims and end play adjustment come into play. Can I put it > back together as is with the existing shims or do I need a stack of > shims handy in order to get the end play adjusted to .005ths per Bob > Donalds/Bostig video. > > Would appreciate commentary from the pro's among us. > > Thanx, > > John Rodgers > 88 GL Driver > Chelsea, AL >