Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Mar 2009 01:01:00 -0500
From:         A J I <flavanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Lack of brakes long version saga actually
Comments: To: Mike Collum <collum@myfairpoint.net>

I did run the shoes out until they were dragging a little on the drums. Pulled the drums off and backed them down just a bit figuring the self adjusters would bring them to where they need to be. There is still a very slight rub when "spinning" the wheel so the shoes have to be close. I am using the Bentley and unfortunately it only gives specs not procedure so I am relying on my old mechanic ability but must admit to no VW or Vanagon mechanical experience but I do have a decent mechanics background. I used to own a body shop and did more than my share of mechanical work and driveline swaps, even some custom work. I believe I have working knowledge of basic mechanics but havent done any such for the last 15 years or so other than "tinkering".

My bleeding preceedure is to start with the right rear and have help, translates to wife, pump the pedal three times slowly. I work around to the left rear then the right front and finally the drivers front. I even tried a passive bleed where I open the bleeder them the pedal is pushed. I close the bleeder and the pedal is released. No difference in either the pump or passive method as to results

Under normal circumstances I would consider this action as a failure of the master or "bleed by" in the master but as I said VW is a whole different creature and I am staedy finding things that just dont work the same as on the older domestic vehicles that I did work on. I enjoy the Vanagon and it is/was my daily driver. As of late it is more driveway stationary art than driver. I will tear down the rears again tomorrow and double check but if I can hear the shoes moving and gripping then releasing I am assuming that there isnt going to be anything "jumping out" at me that I missed. I may try adjusting the shoes up a tighter to a noticable drag and see if that helps.

Is there an adjustment hole in the backing plate to adjust the rears? I adjusted them to the point of being able to get the drums on not with the drums on because I didnt see any means of adjusting them after assembly. Maybe that is the problem?? Can anyone offer the proper proceedure for adjusting the rears? Maybe a page somewhere with detailed instructions or pics/ It would be a help. Thanks again ,

A J

87 GL 4 spd 91 GL auto