Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Mar 2009 07:49:41 -0500
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Lack of brakes long version saga actually
Comments: To: A J I <flavanagon@GMAIL.COM>

I have experienced this problem many, many times and it is most likely not your new master cylinder being defective. The rear brakes are critical to the overall pedal feel of the Vanagon. You can replace everything with new parts in your braking system but if you don't have the rear brakes adjusted properly or if the drums are worn out you will never get a good pedal feel. Measure your drums to be sure they are in spec. Then adjust your rear brakes out far enough that the shoes are just touching the drum when you install them. You should have to fight to put the drum on. If you have to struggle to install the drum then you have adjusted it out too much, back it off a bit so that you can slide it on easily but when you turn the drum you will hear a slight sound of the shoes touching. This should give you the best and highest pedal you have ever had. I would also check by front brake pads and rotors just to be sure that you don't have worn out front brakes as well.

We have a step by step write up that we give free to our customers who buy rear brake components from us. It includes pictures and instructions so that you can not only install the new brake parts but also that they will work properly once you install them. Almost every Vanagon I get in here for rear brake work has the rear brakes improperly installed! The adjuster is in wrong, the springs are installed wrong, the brake shoes are on the wrong side (yup seen that a few times). Any of these will cause your rear brakes to not work properly and you to have poor pedal feel. That is why I try to help my customers to good the best job they can and thereby have the best braking they can have.

If you need any more help or parts please let me know, Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

A J I wrote: > I have a 91 auto GL. From the day I bought the van several, 6-8 months ago, > the brakes have always been soft. I was actually only stopping on the > fronts. I finally was able to do a little work on the van so I checked out > the rear brakes. The wheel cylinders were wet and the backing plates soaked > with wet( brake fluid) dirt/dust. Decided to replace both rear wheel > cylinders. Ordered new ones from bus depot and while I waited I cleaned the > backing plates and all the hardware. When the new cylinders arrived I > installed them and proceeded to bleed the brakes. Prior to removing the rear > cyclinders there was always a pedal, soft but never to the floor. After > bleeding the system what I got was pedal to the floor on the first pump and > then pressure build with the next several pumps but always to the floor on > the first pump. I used a full 3 quarts of fluid flushing/bleeding the > system. The fluid was clean and clear and there was no air but still first > pump to the floor. > > Sooo, I pulled the master and proceeded to rebuild it. I didnt have the > hollow hex needed to replace the one, secondary, boot but figured there was > enough new rubber with everything else that was replaced that it should work > ok. I didnt bench bleed it before install figuring that the system couldnt > hurt with another flushing. Started with the bleeding again only this time I > used a full 4 quarts of fluid and kept getting the same results. First pump > to the floor them pedal build but not a full hard pedal. No air in the lines > and clean and clear fluid. Could spot no leaks in the lines, all were dry. > Figured I messed up on the rebuild so ordered a new master from bus depot. > > It came today but with this one I did bench bleed it prior to install. Once > it was installed I jumped on the brake pedal just for giggles and got a good > hard pedal at about 1/4 travel. Figured this was great but decided to bleed > the system in case there was any air from the install. Opened the right > rear bled it down closed it and then said pump it twice. Well the first pump > went to the floor and the second started to gain pedal. I thought ok there > must be some air somewhere. Bled the entire system again, another 3 quarts > just to be sure I sis the entire system, no air at all and clean fluid, no > leaks visable. First pump to the floor second gains pedal third has pedal at > about 1/2 travel. If you pump it up three times or so then release wait > about 5 seconds and push the brake it goes to the floor. It will then pump > up. I am going to buy stock in the brake fluid company. > > During the bleeding process I could hear the rear brakes working against the > drums and releasing and there was no fluid leaking. > Unless I got a bad master which I doubt because before I opened the bleeders > it was a good hard pedal, I am at a total loss here. > I intend to remove the rear drums tomorrow if I can move, hoping the drugs > will kick in I have pretty bad RA, and double check the rear wheel > cylinders but short of that I dont know what to try next other than selling > the van. This thing hasnt driven 10 feet in the last two months and I can > afford to have it just sitting there but I really dont know what to look at > next. Anyone offer any clues, hints, suggestions, tips or whatever? I can > use all the input I can get. > > Thanks, > A J > > 87 GL 4 spd > 91 GL auto > >