Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Mar 2009 09:31:16 -0600
From:         Larry Alofs <lalofs@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Lack of brakes long version saga actually
Comments: To: Mike Collum <collum@myfairpoint.net>

Thank you Mike. I just printed that out to file in my Bentley. About 3/4 of the time when I start working on the rear brakes I move the adjuster the wrong way at first and have to learn it all over again, and then forget by the next time.

Larry A.

Oh, and if you pull your parking brake part or all the way up and discover that your pedal seems much higher than usual, it's a clue that your rear brakes are not adjusted well. :-)

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 7:32 AM, Mike Collum <collum@myfairpoint.net> wrote: > A J I wrote: >> >> Is there an adjustment hole in the backing plate to adjust the rears? > > On a Vanagon, there is an adjustment hole on each backing plate.  The > hole is not centered behind each wheel's adjusting star, though.  Yours > may not be readily noticeable if the rubber plugs are still in place. > > To move the adjusting star, you'll need a small "European" brake > adjusting spoon or maybe a screwdriver that has been bent at the end. > Standard size adjusting spoons are simply too large.  I use the small > Euro spoon available at most FLAPS. > > Insert the adjusting spoon into the hole with its tip facing more toward > the front of the van (not straight in)  The tail, where your hand is, > will face the rear somewhat.  To tighten the shoes against the drum, > your hand will move downward as the tip of the adjuster lifts on the > star.  One side of the van has a star that is threaded left handed and > the other side has one that is threaded right handed.  Because of this, > the adjusting motion I described above is the same for both sides. > > Mike >