Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Mar 2009 10:32:16 -0800
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fuel gauge sender ground location
Comments: To: Philip Zimmerman <philzimm1@oberon.ark.com>

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 7:52 PM, Philip Zimmerman <philzimm1@oberon.ark.com> wrote: > Date:         Thu, 5 Mar 2009 15:55:17 -0500 > > David ably typed: > > Can anyone point me exactly to the grounding point location for the > fuel gauge sender on '89 2WD? I'm having trouble interpreting the > drawing in Bentley, and the snow isn't conducive to rolling freely > around under the beast just now. > > Any further info about the physical path of the line from panel to > sender to ground, and where it might be accessible without dropping the > tank, would be gratefully received. > > -- David Beierl - Providence RI USA -- > http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '89 Po' White Star "Scamp" > ------------------------------- .....

> The physical ground point for the gauge sender ('87 2WD confirmed) is > located on the inside, driver's side Main longitudinal Frame-Rail. > About halfway between the front/rear ends of the fuel tank. > Machine-Screwed onto the lower flange of the Frame-Rail (top side of > the lower-rail). My best recall says: this ground wire exits one of the > (2-3) Wire-Looms that run along the inside of the left (drivers-side) > Frame-Rail. Exits the loom, just behind the transverse rail, in front > of the Fuel Tank. Both leads to the Sender exit the loom at this point. > Two wires run directly to the Sender, the ground wire loops into and > out of the loom at this same point. Page 97.8 in the Bentley does give > a few hints to the location, I'm attempting to describe above. A > possible confusion is the Bentley writes: "to ground point on *cross > member*, from fuel gauge sender". > From my best recall, the ground point is on the Main Frame-Rail, not > the cross member. > > Again from an aging recall, this ground wire is not visible from below > as the fuel tank blocks all access to this region along the Frame-Rail. > This ground wire is accessible from above, reaching in through the > Driver's Side Wheel Well.... amongst the fuel vent lines, a single > brown wire covered with crusty undercoating will be found..... felt! > Don't recall actually being able to see this wire (directly) from the > wheel-well without the use of a mirror and additional lighting..... but > one can feel it..... Gads, I gotta get a life!!!!!!

Ok.

So P 97.127 in Bentley shows the fuel sender ground at "29" which is "near Digifant control unit". A misprint? Or is my Vanagon "geography" off?

Here's a pic of my '81. I moved the fuel sender ground wire forward when I had the gas tank out, but am almost certain it's the ground wire in question.

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/FuelLevelSenderGround.jpg/FuelLevelSenderGround-full;init:.jpg

Is this near where you found your wire Phil?

Neil.

-- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines