Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Mar 2009 13:15:57 -0800
From:         Philip Zimmerman <philzimm1@OBERON.ARK.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fuel gauge sender ground location
Comments: To: neil N <musomuso@gmail.com>

On Mar 6, 2009, at 10:32 AM, neil N wrote:

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 7:52 PM, Philip Zimmerman <philzimm1@oberon.ark.com> wrote: > Date:         Thu, 5 Mar 2009 15:55:17 -0500 > David ably typed: > Can anyone point me exactly to the grounding point location for the > fuel gauge sender on '89 2WD?............ > ------------------------------- ..... Phil pecked and erased: > The physical ground point for the gauge sender ('87 2WD confirmed) is > located on the inside, driver's side Main longitudinal Frame-Rail. > About halfway between the front/rear ends of the fuel tank.

Neil says: Ok.

So P 97.127 in Bentley shows the fuel sender ground at "29" which is "near Digifant control unit". A misprint? Or is my Vanagon "geography" off?

Here's a pic of my '81. I moved the fuel sender ground wire forward when I had the gas tank out, but am almost certain it's the ground wire in question.

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/FuelLevelSenderGround.jpg/ FuelLevelSenderGround-full;init:.jpg

Is this near where you found your wire Phil? -------------------------------------------------- Phil responds: Neil, Relatively near, as in, at least at the correct end of the Van..... 8>) For the '87 model year, the ground I speak of above, is located on the

main (longitudinal) frame-member. At least for your '81, the Bentley is more or less correct, than for most other years. Quoting Bentley, page 97.17 for ground #15 (fuel level sender, current

track #39) "at left front of crossmember". Which, from your picture, is

where you found (or relocated) this ground wire.

To my knowledge and physical examination(s), the Bentley, page 97.127

is misprint. The ground wire the Bentley speaks of here, "near Dig....", is the ground for the Dig Control Unit only. Not until the 1990 models and forward does the Bentley finally get close to describing where the Fuel Sender ground is physically located: pages 97.203/97.209 "near fuel gauge sending unit". Rather vague at best but,

at least closer than for the previous years of the water cooled models.

Auh, the mystery of locating ground wires on a Vanagon. Where Vans have

spent time in the rust-belt, numerous electrical issues end up being a

caused by a bad ground(s). But, where is the friggen ground located? My

fav issue on my '87 is when the driver's side rear blinker starts acting up and working intermittently, I now know, to check-out both front blinker/running lights for water ingress. More often than not, clean and dry these out and the rear drivers-side works Ok again. FTW?

happy fryeday