Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Mar 2009 16:14:49 -0800
From:         Donna Skarloken <dskarloken@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Takes a darn long time for the heater to come up to speed
Comments: To: Mark Tuovinen <mst@ak.net>

All I can say is I've driven Vanagons since my dad bought a new one in 1986 and it just takes longer to warm up. I often turn the rear heater fan on first. I think it was Jim said it takes about 9 miles and he is right; on a commute morning it is about 10 miles from my house to the other side of town and by then I'm roasting and have to turn everything down. This true of my (now my son's) 87 Wolfsburg bought new and and my 87 syncro (3d owner). We live in California (Central Valley/Bay Area) so unlike Mark in AK, it is not much of an issue; I only get concerned now when I take my mom or mother-in-law someplace because they are elderly and get/stay cold easily.

BTW, I replaced my rear heater core last year and now I smell a little coolant again when I turn it on; I wonder if there's a leak again? Haven't been home before dark so I haven't been able to look around. I plan on taking a look this weekend.

Donna, 87 Syncro