Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Mar 2009 18:17:40 -0700
From:         alfred bagdan <abagdan@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: temp2 sensor?
Comments: To: Matthew Snook <matt@SNOOKSBAND.COM>

Hi all,

The Temp 2 sensor is right by the water pump, on the left side of the engine as seen from the back, it has a blue top to which a wire attaches with a clip type connector. It costs about 20 - 30 bucks. It is easy to change yourself, get the part, take off the electrical connection, unscrew the Temp2 sensor and immediately screw in the new one (don't forget the washer). You will lose half a cup of coolant which you can refill in the overflow tank, no need to bleed the system.

Here is my story which I put on the list a long time ago:

I had this problem a long time ago, this list did not exist yet. The problem was intermittent, i.e. it would occasionally not start when hot. Once when it would not start, I decided to check the spark from the coil wire by pulling it off the distributor cap, then bringing it near ground and having my wife turn the key as if to start the van and me watching the spark. Then I put the coil wire back on and tried again to start the van, to my surprise it started, although reluctantly, like a flooded engine. Ever since then, when the engine was hot and the van did not start, I used that trick and it always worked. I'm not sure why this allows the van to start, but I drove like that for almost a year trying out various parts. When it happened to me I didn't know it was the temp 2 sensor, neither did the VW trained "technicians". After they replaced many parts to no avail, I finally went to a one man garage specializing in European cars and told him the problem. He put two and two together, no start when hot so it's temperature related, aha! the temp 2 sensor. Problem solved. I still have a spare computer, hall sender, air flow meter and coil which are perfectly OK.

If you don't carry a spare Temp 2 sensor, disconnect it and attach a resistor which is approx. the same as that of a hot engine resistance across the leads. Now you will need to carry some resistors.

Wait till the engine cools off, then start it.

Buy a Temp2 sensor as soon as possible, and replace it.

Learn to be your own mechanic if you insist to drive a VW van.

Alfred 85 Westy

----- Original Message ----- From: "Matthew Snook" <matt@SNOOKSBAND.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, March 06, 2009 2:32 PM Subject: temp2 sensor?