Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Mar 2009 22:50:23 EST
From:         David Clarkson <Dvdclarksn@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: westfalia = chick repellant-long but a good story IMHO
Comments: To: wildebus@GMAIL.COM
Comments: cc: Beverleyjc@aol.com

Okay here's my chick repellant/magnet vanagon story. 82 Diesel Westfailure: Bought after having been wrecked and unbeknownst to me chocked full of bad karma. Still managed to snag a wife with this ride even though she thought I was a bit neurotic and fixated with it. We had some good times in it and then we had some awful times in it when it left us stranded on the NJ expressway after an extended trip to NYC for a Grateful Dead show (closet Deadhead now exposed). There were numerous other breakdowns and subsequent towings. After having invested (hold onto your hats' audience) over $20,000 of documented expenses and tolerating repetitive incidents of marital discord something had to change. The failed turbo diesel vanagon was returned to stock and belittled constantly by wife, friends and family. She then surprised me one fine day by driving up to our work place in a nice white 105,000 mile 1990 Westfalia (please note the spelling change). I said, "What is this?". She had found it along her route for sale by a guy who needed a bigger vehicle to tow a bike trailer. Now for the big miracle. She talked the owner of our company into buying the vehicle for me as a company car!!!! When I found this out I jumped up and down like a giddy schoolgirl at a '64 Ed Sullivan Beatles show. Now the van is my own and I do all of the maintenance and repairs and all is well again. My 90 Westy has been unbelievably reliable and has never left us stranded. I mega-maintain her to keep her going. The wife love's this van as do our two Brittanies. We go camping, to festivals and anywhere in style and comfort. Only the coolest of folk really appreciate our ride (previously mentioned filter factor). Soon three of our closest friends will travel with us to Greensboro, NC to the Dead's inaugural 2009 tour start to revive old memories and create new ones. Did I mention that it is also my daily driver? The general manager of my Honda dealership saw me with it on the lift tonight replacing a valve cover gasket and said, "you really love this thing don't you?". I said, "do you remember being young, free and un tethered? I don't have to remember those days because I still am in this van." Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it. YMMV but your experiences will always be first rate in a VW Westy. Preachin' to the choir now right?

David Clarkson 90 Westy 264, 000 miles chocked full fun and reliability