Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Mar 2009 11:10:35 -0800
From:         Roland <syncronicity1@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Heater Hoses

Hi Jon,

I am sure others would confirm that you probably should take steps to isloate the leak, like pressure testing for example.

About 3 months ago I was driving along on the freeway and the overtemp buzzer went off, and the temp gauge was glued to the top. Of course immediately pulled off, let it cool down, and added water to see if I could understand more about the problem. It came out as fast as I put it in.

The problem was the plastic distribution unit, it had a large hole in it, like a whole section of the thing just blew off somehow. I replaced it with the GoWesty stainless steel version, costs about $10 more than the stock plastic part and well worth it. So you might want to consider this if you are disconecting things in this area. The GoWesty part description suggests that the distribution unit is a failure prone part.

Here it is: http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4328

Pretty straight forward to replace, had to remove the air box, and then just some clamps from both below and from inside the engine compartment.

Roland '89 Syncro