Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Mar 2009 12:32:43 -0800
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Replacing FI with Carbs on WBX 2.1L
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 12:18 PM, Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > Good electronic fuel injection just can not be beat ........for cold > drivability, emissions, good drivability etc.  A carb is always a crude and > mechanical compromise device. Electronics trump mechanics every time. You > can see it throughout  automotive development - electronic ignition > replacing points, distrbutorless ignition systems replaceing ones with > distrubutors , etc. etc. >  There was the electronic feed back carb..........for a few years, That > sure didn't last............replaced by EFI. > > The EFI system on waterboxers is quite crude btw........compared to more > modern stuff. > Any good system with an Air Mass Meter instead of an Air flow Meter ( a > place where something mechanical interfaces with electrons .........which is > ALWAYS a weakness ) ..................Subaru and say, Volvo with air mass > meter.......is always a more reliable and consistent system. > Subaru EFI ........... > makes waterboxer EFI look like lawn mower technology. > The Subaru system is sequential, has cam and crank sensors , and knock > sensor ignition........makes the wbxr EFI and ignition system look silly. > "Distriubutor' ........what's that ??   - some old fashioned thing the 80's. > > Not finding the time, but I have a plan in the back of my mind to fit Subaru > EFI to a vanagon waterboxer engine........ > but it would be even easier to do 1988 740 Volvo inline four EFI with air > mass meter to a waterboxer........no cam or crank sensors on that system, > but has a air mass meter.  If I just happen to stumble onto a non-turbo > volvo 740 system in a junkyard ...............hmmmm........get rid of that > hokey air flow meter, though they hang in there fairly well, most of the > time. > > 'new type of carb'...........I'd like to hear more about that.  If there is > some way to get beyond the float bowl and float concept in > carbs...........perhaps something better than the traditional carb can be > done. > What fun. > Scott > > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Tom Hargrave" <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2009 9:49 PM > Subject: Re: Replacing FI with Carbs on WBX 2.1L > > >> There is no carburetor that will come close to a FI system, even a FI >> system >> from the late 80s. A good FI system keeps your fuel mixture very close to >> a >> perfect 14.5:1. A carburetor can't do this across all RPM ranges. But this >> does not keep people from switching. >> >> Don't get me wrong, I'm an old carburetor guy and I love working on them. >> >> Thanks, >> Tom Hargrave >> www.kegkits.com >> 256-656-1924

As a shade tree dude who used to hack away at the old Solex carbs, I can say that the only virtue I can see with carbs, is that if stuck in the middle of BFE, (and a rebuild kit is stowed away) one might stand a better chance of getting home. i.e. a clogged jet. On the flip side, it seems that with a more modern EFI system, if one carries spare parts, (sensors) they might stand a chance of getting to where they need to be. Sort of a "6 of one" type of thing. And IMO, any system can fail causing the engine to stop.

I guess it depends on what one is used to servicing. Prior to converting, I had NO idea how an EFI system generally worked (still have lots to learn) and would have leaned toward carb(s). Regardless, I am confident that unless the ECU melts or the wiring harness fails, if I have known working spare parts, I'll likely get it running again.

Just my .02 and as they say, YMMV!

-- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines