Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Mar 2009 19:12:41 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Replacing FI with Carbs on WBX 2.1L
Comments: To: Allan Streib <streib@cs.indiana.edu>

oh man, don't even get me started about crazy modern stuff like touch screens in cars. Any idea what a hazardous distraction that can be if doing it while also driving !?

I have this 'modern' Sony radio..........tries to look like a video game I guess. it 'used to be'.........you had a nice digital display of the station you were on, one knob to turn for on/off and volume, one knob to turn to dial stations............ and one button to flip from AM to FM. I would pay twice the price for a simple radio like that. With this Sony I mentioned........it's a 5 step hassle of holding buttons and reading a crazy display ........to do anything. A serious distraction from driving if you don't have a co-pilot.

so yes, electronics have totally gotten of control. Now Toyota has some model cars that can send you an voice message while you're driving. .....service advisements, or deals on service I imagine...........no thank you !

your injection pump on that car needs a 12 volt signal I believe. Before they had the 5 cylinder 300D ........there was the 240D four cylinder......... in the 1970 to 1975 Chassis............that engine had an actual control cable to the injection pump, both to turn it on, and to shut the engine down. In a most old fashioned way, pulling that cable knob out also activated the glow plugs....... and get this...........this is how crude and basic that system is.......... the glow plugs are in series, the four of them in the engine, and a 5th 'glow thing' in the dash, right in front of the driver. Looks like a salt shaker, and has a 'toaster element ' it in. So you get to *actually see* how glowing the glow plugs are ! and no electrics to the IP either .........just mechanical on/off.

I had a 75 240D ..........the last year of that chassis, and very related to my 1970 250 gas inline six carbed Benz, 'Ursula' I got that 240 D cause the PO drove the timing chain until it was so stretched.......... it jumped time, and when the valves hit the pistons ..........instead of trashing valves, head, or pistons...........it broke off the 3 cam towers the cam runs in..........it would still crank over just fine. In a vw diesel of course, you're looking at a new head at least.

And............after I got that engine fixed in that Mercedes.........cast iron head, a forest of cylinder head studs.......... if that engine is fully up to spec...............good timing chain, good compression, injection pump and timing right..........there is just *no way* it can fail to operate for a long, long time. The only think I can imagine is a coolant hose failing, or just neglect and unawareness causing overheating ....... man if there is oil in it, and a mostly decent cooling system............'almost' .........nothing can go wrong. Severely overbuilt engine. It's solidly built the timing chain isn't even on the front of the block......... it's within the cast iron block. I don't know if the 5 cylinder is that way or not. I suspect not. ....... but your 300D - same thing...........overbuilt to the max. Wish VW was have that well made. We wouldn't have that much to talk to each other about if that was the case ~! lol.

All I've ever done to learn how to work on anything.........say EFI.......is get a book on it, ask lots of questions, and especially, get a set of spare parts like ECU and sensors out of a pick n pull junkyard for cheap.......... verify they are ok on the engine when I get the......... between those 3 things..........it's not to hard to get on top of EFI. that's all any tdi-conversion vanagon person has done..........just start learning and figure that stuff out, or hire someone to do it. It's a steep learning curve for a while.........but feeling like you understand or can work on a system like EFI isn't really that hard.........some determination involved perhaps. I had some serious fun with carbs recently........last comment this post ................Porsche 914-6 I did a bunch of work on........including rescuing it from being dead, water in the carbs, fuel leaking off one of the carbs, etc.........interesting carb set up. Six cylinder engine, two 3 barrel carbs, with two float bowls in each carb. One throttle plate per cylinder ..........you don't see that too often. That was fun. And that particular car..................no choke, of any kind. No mixture enrichment for cold starting, at all. You had to pump the gas to pump fuel in via the accelerator jets, then fire it off with that fuel, and catch it with more pumps right away. After 30 seconds of that you could pull out the manual throttle cable and get to a high cold idle of about 1,700 rpm,. Most definitely crude. But ................brilliantly, it also has a spark ignition system..............so it doesn't have to depend on engine condition itself to be able to run well. I know a 300D engine will run for ...........decades even. Even if no one never checks the valve clearances. Super made well engine, and car. The Porsche 914-6 .....while exciting and very valuable as a collectible.......is junk really, compared to your Benz.......actually a very, very evolved and glorified vw bug. Fun though ! Those float valves in the 914-6 had a tendency to stick shut....... and when you shut it off, the float valves are fully closed..........then one or two of the four float valves like to stick shut ...... nothing like that in EFI ! And now the current version of your car has full electronic controls on it. I can imagine some of the repair bills on those after a number of years !

----- Original Message ----- From: "Allan Streib" <streib@cs.indiana.edu> To: "Scott Daniel - Turbovans" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM> Cc: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, March 07, 2009 5:29 PM Subject: Re: Replacing FI with Carbs on WBX 2.1L