Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Mar 2009 19:55:50 -0800
From:         Bill Prats <b.bill.p@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Auto Trans 1st Gear Noise
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

Thanks for the info Scott ..... we drove through the hills today in search of a hiking trail and the Vdub ran great and sounded fine, I guess my imagination was playing games with me ... Milage is 106,000 and I had the ATF changed 2 years ago, about 2000 miles ..... but the fluid was brown which I sure don't understand, I thought it was something for VWs .... the leaks started a very long time ago, maybe a spot or 2 on the driveway but the yuck after a very long drive, say 200 miles was obvious and I just wanted to clean the tranny and address the leaks.

When I say how the trans oil was cooled in the stock VW heat exchanger I agreed with the mechanic to remove it and add the external cooler . So far so good ... .Generally I drive the VW pretty slow cause its only for weekend fun, not driving to work or groceries.

It seems the VW auto trans is pretty strong , I've never heard of an outright failure .... leaks are easy to find cause there are only 4 places, 2 easy fixes plus the 2nd gear brake band seal then the more expensive junction between the differential and the tranny ..... Oh, the pan gasgets .... changed those 2 years ago ....

Lets keep our fingers crossed that all is Ok ...... Bill89westy23

On 3/7/09, Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: > hi Bill, > I don't know if it's totally safe to say yours is "OK" .........ok for now > let's say. > How many miles total on it ? > The leaks that got fixed tend to make me think there's a lot of miles on > yours...... > but sounds like you're doing great. > So you got an air oil cooler put on it ? > that'll be handy for when you do a subaru or other higher rpm engine > conversion ~! > > I havn't had a problem with liquid oil cooles on auto transmissions > failing....... > but I keep pretty up on fresh coolant and use a water soluble oil additive > as a rust in hibitor and water pump lubricant - been doing that for years on > hundreds of cars and vanagons ..........works real well. > You could suffer the same fate with your engine oil cooler too......... > if you're concerned about those failing ..........and I havn't ever had a > problem with those either, but that also is a coolant and oil interface > cooling device, that could allow coolant into the engine oil, which could be > serious. Point is........you can't change the coolant or maintain the > cooling system'too much' in a vangaon. In my opinion and experience, you > could change the coolant once a month for 6 months, and not be wasiting > money. > Not more than about 75 % of the entire volume of coolant ever gets changed > in a coolant change..........so there is always yuck left when changing from > old coolant to knew. > > Mine auto trans is 'slippy' cold, especially if it's been really cold over > night. Semi-normal I think........though I bet the ATF is a little yucky > in the pan of my auto trans - I should get after that, drop that pan and > clean things out really well in there. ( same thing there btw......when > changing the fluid you never get all of the old out .........like say what's > in the torque converter ........if you're using a low tech drain and refil > methoed that is. > Vanagons rock ! > Scott > www.turbovans.com > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Bill Prats" <b.bill.p@GMAIL.COM> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2009 9:44 PM > Subject: Re: Auto Trans 1st Gear Noise > > >> Thanks guys for your reports. I checked the fluids and all is fine >> ..... I had 3 leaks fixed, the front seal where the cooler attaches, >> the O-Ring on the round cover near the top of the trans and that thing >> next to it , part of the 2nd Gear Brake Band. The mechanic had to drop >> the trans valve body to replace that seal. He did a great job for a >> reasonable price. I learned that the stock VW cooler can prove fatal >> so he installed a separate cooler. >> >> I'm glad to hear that mine is Ok. Bill89westy23 >> >> On 3/5/09, Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com> wrote: >>> Yeah, mine too. >>> Normal I think. >>> If I swap out even two qts. of Royal Purple ATF I can feel my van go a >>> little better - very good stuff.... >>> doesn't change the whine level of 1st gear though. >>> scott >>> >>> >>> ----- Original Message ----- >>> From: "Bill Prats" <b.bill.p@GMAIL.COM> >>> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> >>> Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2009 8:48 AM >>> Subject: Auto Trans 1st Gear Noise >>> >>> >>>> 1989 Westy Automatic. Just wonder if you all notice that first gear >>>> is kinda whinny..... yesterday I took all the cushions and carpet out >>>> of my Westy before taking it in for service .... first gear was >>>> definitely audible and after service for some reason it sounded louder >>>> to me. Tranny Dextron III is pretty and pink. >>>> >>>> Bill89Westy23 >>> >>> > >