Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Mar 2009 13:50:56 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: 82 westy drive belts
Comments: To: AD Felder <dieseldoofus@YAHOO.COM>

if you're just stuck not being able to get those belts, I have a box of them.........good used ones. They're take-offs from converting to a Single Belt system, which I do to any diesel vanagon I'm involved with. ( hopefully I'll find the time to pursue getting more of the exactly correct pulleys I use for that conversion ) .

I suspect the 10 mm ones will work.......but I've also found over the years that a too-wide belt can easily jump out of the v-groove, so be careful about going up in belt width. scott www.turbovans.com ( Man, if there was ever a part or system on a diesel vangon that needed upgrading .......it's that bizarre two belts adjust with shims set up !! I WISH I had the engineers here that came up with that goofy system, and make them change and adjust the belts over and over until their fingers are bloody ........it's easily 10 or 20 times harder to deal with than the good ole 'single belt, tilt out the alternator to adjust or replace the one belt'........which is what a proper single belt conversion for a DV provides. )

----- Original Message ----- From: "AD Felder" <dieseldoofus@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, March 07, 2009 9:29 PM Subject: 82 westy drive belts

My owner's manual indicates that the v-belts are to be 9.5x600 LA and 9.5x643 LA. I have not been able to find these sizes anywhere. 10mm, yes, sometimes, but not both sizes from the same place even. I have found little to no information about belt sizes on the i-net. Some mfr's websites "hint" that the 10mm are actually 9.5mm wide (Bando, I think). Here is some handy info about belts and pulleys, that also indicates 9.5 being the actual standard width, along with 12mm http://www.gizmology.net/pulleysbelts.htm and that you should not change belt widths.

Questions:

There is only .5mm difference between the two sizes. Is this significant and/or did VW just pull that size out of a hat, even though 10mm width belts were common at that time as well. Air cooled (at least some) are called out as 10mm.

Why does no-one, including VW parts suppliers, list these belts?

Any sources for 9.5 belts? I would like to use Conti, but there are NO retail sellers of Conti in this country that I could find. Their "local" office for the US is in Thailand, I think.

I humbly await someone to educate me about this.