Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Mar 2009 10:17:10 -0400
From:         Mike <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Was Re: That wonderful ignature VW "chirp"! now ticket/ fine info
Comments: To: Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>

AFAIK, the police have no jurisdiction to write tickets on private property, except upon specific request of the property owner. For example, those stop signs in a shopping center parking lot, are legally unenforceable, unless the property manager came out, observed a vehicle violating the sign(s) and called a cop over to cite the offender for the offense. If you'd (or he) fought it, under those conditions, the judge would have thrown it out. I fight almost every ticket, and several have been thrown out, while others have been reduced in point value (for the insurance company hit) and fine cost. I think they figure you deserve the right to plea-bargain it down (usually to half) because you showed up (which most people won't do, and that you must have felt strongly enough about it to be willing to lose a day's wages over it). It can't hurt and usually helps. The cop has to show for the trial, or you win by default. Night-shift cops have a hard time coming in to court during the day, when they're off, so that's working in your favor, but no guarantee of good result. The lost day's wages is much better than the 5 years of increased insurance premiums plus the fine. Over the years, this has saved me a lot of money. I'm not cheating; just fighting for my rights, and wiping away ridiculous charges from overzealous cops, and defending my budget!. Don't get me wrong, I respect the police, as well as the law. But sometimes, we all screw up or are wrongfully accused, so if you throw yourself on the mercy of the court for the minor transgression and plea for forgiveness, it may fall in your favor. It always worked for me. You won't win, if you don't try. Some places allow reduced or eliminated points and fines for taking a driving class. I've done this, too, and that only works once or twice before it's no longer an option. Good luck, Mike B. ----- Original Message ----- From: Max Wellhouse To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Saturday, March 14, 2009 6:37 AM Subject: Re: That wonderful ignature VW "chrip"!

My son was doing this this past winter in an abandoned parking lot in Waterloo. He woke up a cop napping nearby at 2AM and was promptly written up for reckless driving. He chose not to fight it and now he's saddled with horrific insurance rates for the next many years, not to mention the fine and having to go to court anyway.

DM&FS