Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Mar 2009 11:25:35 -0400
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tires - Why oh why NOT?
Comments: To: Chris S <szpejankowski@GMAIL.COM>

I will contribute to this thread.

3400 pounds in a tall narrow package does not equal 3400 pounds in a wide squat package.

The Vanagon is taller and narrow than vehicles of comparable weight and sits on a narrower wheel base. Because of this shape, if/when a tire deflates a larger amount of mass at a higher point above the road, is getting shifted.

As anyone who has used a fulcrum should know, it is easier to move things with a longer arm. That extra height of the Vanagon makes it easier to flip it over, if it has a bit of impetutus, such as a tire blow out.