Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Mar 2009 16:53:51 -0400
From:         pdooley <psdooley@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Tires - Why oh why NOT?
Comments: To: Mike <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET>

I seem to remember the old bay window buses handle the snow and ice better due to more weight on the rear as compared to the Vanagon. Add that to other list members saying the Vanagon is balanced if not heavier on the front axles, and I made that assumption. So, has anybody actually weighed a Vanagon with typical fuel and passenger load and determined the weight per axle in a real world situation?

Regarding the polar moment of inertia, I didn't bother to bring up the axes of orientation since the terminology is incorrect in the first place. For your argument I think the term "center of mass" fits better, since we are still talking about weight distribution and not rigidity.

No, it hasn't been shot down, it's been backed up by factory specs.

Regarding the 'polar moment of inertia' , you're only considering rotation about a single axis, and that's not the axis that I'm referring to here. There are 3 axis' affecting a moving vehicle; lateral (pitch), longitudinal (roll or 'torsion') and vertical (yaw). I'm referring to rotation about the vertical axis, induced by weight biased more towards on end than the other. Like a pendulum, it's the same force induced that's been pulling VW Beetles and Porsches off the road backwards since they first made them. Our Vanagon suffers the same effect, but not so extremely, as the rear-weight bias is not as severe as in those other examples. These vans are heavier overall, and are also capable of carrying both heavier payloads as well as the number of passengers. They are, therefore, designed and engineered accordingly. They are, in fact, a light truck capable of hauling alot of additional weight, and do so regularly on the Camper and Syncro/camper versions. In addition, towing anything would only add to this rear-weight bias and result in a more pronounced over-steer in a panic situation. As you can see, the tires need to be very stout in the sidewalls to handle all of the extremes that the vehicle may be subject to, including during mishaps like emergency braking and evasive maneuvers, or in the event of a tire blowing out. TUV standards in Germany set most of these requirements that follow the vehicle wherever its sold. I'm sorry, but any passenger tires are woefully inadequate for any Vanagon (including an empty passenger van with only the driver), and will result in poor handling and dangerous uncontrollability in a panic situation. How much value do you put on your family?

Mike B. ----- Original Message ----- From: pdooley To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Saturday, March 14, 2009 2:32 PM Subject: Re: Tires - Why oh why NOT?

Mike, Apparently the weight bias issue has been shot down already, so please explain the polar moment of inertia part. It's been a long time since my engineering classes, so I looked it up. From what I found, the polar moment of inertia is a measure of an object's ability to resist torsion. You seem to be implying that a weight imbalance will affect the vehicle's torsional stiffness.

Please clarify.

The imbalance by the rear-biased weight, and a resultant high polar moment of inertia during evasive maneuvers (or during a tire blow-out), is surely the main reason for the C-load sidewall requirements, as evidenced by the tire pressure requirements (high overall and even higher in the rear). No passenger tire is rated or able to withstand those high pressure settings. If you inflate a passenger tire to 44 - 48 psi, it will make it form a different shape, causing the tread to lose total contact with the pavement, as well as unduly stressing the carcass and ultimately causing tread seperation and sudden and possibly catastrophic failure. All this will likely occur at the worst possible moment, like when you've got 8 people in the van and going 75mph down the highway. If you've never experienced a high-speed tread separation, I can tell you it's the most out-of-control feeling you'll ever experience. Rear tire incidents are much worse than on a front tire, due to being able to move the steering wheel to fight a front tire blow-out. A rear tire blow-out controls you, not vise-versa! Also, any tire retailer that sells and/or installs the wrong tire for your vehicle, can be held liable in court for the damages/ injuries/ deaths caused by it. To take it one step further, if your state inspection sticker passes with the wrong tire(s) installed, they too could be held liable for not rejecting it as a failure.

Mike B.

----- Original Message ----- From: Mike S To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Saturday, March 14, 2009 10:00 AM Subject: Re: Tires - Why oh why NOT?

At 08:58 AM 3/14/2009, Chris S wrote...

>Now, let's compare some more. > >I once had a 1993 Ford Aerostar. Its curb weight was 3400 lbs and it >could carry 7 passengers. No where did the manufacturer specify >reinforced tires. The stock 215/70 R14 tires, which fit the Vanagon, >have a max load rating of 1554 lbs. The tires are NOT reinforced.

That's not a standard load rating: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

Would that be the 1993 Aerostar talked about here?

http://www.allworldauto.com/comments/1993_ford_aerostar_comments_and_complai nts_24771.html

Where the following comments have been made:

"Tire blew out on interstate, entire side. was driving at normal speed in normal conditions."

"Tire blew out, when vehicle stopped tread was seperated from rest of tire."

"my front left tire suddenly blew out."

"the left rear tire suddenly went flat"

"failed with a tread separation blowout"

"tread coming off tire"

>A 1991 Vanagon GL has its curb weight listed at 3400 lbs. But somehow >its tires are required to be reinforced.

You're not convincing anyone that you know more than the factory engineers. Why would you presume to apply Ford specifications to a VW? It would just as valid (that is, completely invalid, although quite obviously safer) to go the other way. As has been pointed out, VW never equipped the Vanagon with tires having a capacity of less than 1609 lbs. (load rating 97), although they could have saved money by doing so.

Hey, I've got a set of el-cheapo 185R14 passenger car tires, with rims, which the PO had on. Want to buy them cheap?