Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Mar 2009 21:45:42 -0700
From:         Poppie Jagersand <poppie.jagersand@YAHOO.CA>
Subject:      Free limited slip differential. Was: Locking differential..?

In the military terrain driving education we were taught to use the brakes as a way of balancing motor power. On the 4x4 (or 6x6) many times applying limited braking at the same time as power would help negotiate a challenging terrain. Now on the 2WD vanagon, pushing the brake pedal is counter productive as it will stop also the non-driven wheels. One can pull the handbrake to prevent a spinning wheel. It will of course brake both rear wheels, but it can somewhat help stabilize power on difficult/slippery surfaces. It works best if applied before anything starts slipping. (probably due to difference between static and dynamic friction) A means of engaging the brake on just one wheel might be handy also. Would need the cables from both wheels to be pulled to the front. Martin --- On Sun, 3/8/09, aatransaxle <daryl@AATRANSAXLE.COM> wrote: > From: aatransaxle <daryl@AATRANSAXLE.COM> > Subject: Re: Locking differential..? > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Received: Sunday, March 8, 2009, 11:22 PM > Don & whoever else cares... > There are Torque Biasing Differentials(TBD)..commonly > called Limitd Slip > Diffs (LSD) that can be installed in our Vanagon trannys > without much hassle > other than the cost of the unit.($1195) > These TBDiffs get you twice the traction of the stock "open > diff"..If one > wheel gets airborne, then it will loose tractiion to the > other wheel as > well..thats the downfall of that system. It will, however, > get you much > further before you loose traction and keep you moving thru > most situations > we would typically encounter. It tries to hunt for the > wheel with the most > traction and feed power to that one. Pretty good system > unless you are > really serious about getting stuck... > > Lockers, like the factory setup, will actually hook both > rear wheels > together..solidly. The rear wheels WILL turn.. > Locker units are spendy to install, as you have to replace > the main case and > pretty much rebuild it. > A locker can be retrofitted to a 2WD tranny. > There is also a Locking Limited Slip available (I have one > in my own syncro) > that is a LSD with the ability to Lock when you pull the > button. > Still have to do the tranny part and add the vacuum > operating goodies as > well to make it work. > 2wd factory locker install & rebuild runs about $2500 > total > 2WD LSD install runs $2300 with rebuild. $1500 without > rbld. > A syncro tranny can be made to fit into a 2WD setup..can > you say big$$$$$? > A syncro non-locker can be retrofitted to become a locker. > There you have it in a nutshell...call with $ questions. > Daryl of AA Transaxle > (425) 788-4070 > aatransaxle.com > 86 Syncro Westy > Zetec in the trunk > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "dhanson@gorge.net" > <dhanson@GORGE..NET> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Sunday, March 08, 2009 11:53 AM > Subject: Locking differential..? > > > >  Hi all > > > >  I've heard vague rumblings of  available > locking differential kits for > > the 2wd Vanagons.  I've > > googled it and I only come up with some various brands > of limited slip > > options..from Peoquid, etc. > > While those might be the best way to go overall, I > really don't want to > > spend a few $K if I can help > > it, and with just a quick search, I don't see one that > would fit into my 5 > > speed manual tranny > > (Probably out of a diesel vanagon) anyhow. > >  Someone referred to full locker aftermarket kits > that might be workable, > > perhaps as used in dune > > buggys or Baja Bugs.  I am looking for something > similar in action to how > > manual locking hubs work > > on a HD 4x4 truck...something that I could lock when I > enter deep sand or > > want to climb an icy snowy > > hill, then release again...not something I can switch > in 'on the fly' > > even..(unless that is also > > available)  I'd like the option to occasionally > cross some soft sandy > > patches or attempt a  beach > > crossing or get up a snowy back road,..not a full time > 4wd capable van.. > > > >  Anybody know of anything available like > this?  I have been on the lookout > > for a Syncro Locker > > tranny, but those are as rare as hen's teeth and extra > pricey, plus I'm > > sure I'd have to rebuild and > > re-gear if I did somehow find one.. > > > >  Thanks Don Hanson > __________________________________________________________________ Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail. Click on Options in Mail and switch to New Mail today or register for free at http://mail.yahoo.ca