Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Mar 2009 21:16:06 -0400
From:         Mike <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: 2.1l throttle plate question
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>

I think that the worn area of the throttle bore could be repaired quite nicely with J B Weld. I'm not sure about end-play, but the shaft clearance should be as snug as possible with no binding. Also, I can re-bush the throttle shaft, if it's 8mm. I've been overhauling and re-bushing VW carbs of all types for many years (they're all 8mm). BTW, if anyone can help, I do need to locate a source of the brass bushings, as I'm beginning to run low on stock. My supplier went away over 10 years ago, but I still have enough to do a few more before I totally run out. I'm not far from you, David. I work in the Providence area, daily. also.

Mike B. ----- Original Message ----- From: David Beierl To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Saturday, March 14, 2009 8:15 PM Subject: Re: 2.1l throttle plate question

I wrote: >Two questions, O all wise... >1) Should the throttle plate be bent at the centerline, or flat? I >have bent, but I'm thinking what's wanted is flat.

Well, no, what I have is thicker on one side so from the outside it looks bent. What I also have is a nice worn ring around the inside of the throttle body. It looks as though enough extra air is getting around there to explain why the idle-setting only barely comes down to spec with the adjusting screw fully in. I wonder what would work to build that back up to its original dimension. It would have to be oil-resistant.

>2) How much end play of the throttle shaft is considered acceptable?

I'm still curious about that.

-- David Beierl - Providence RI USA -- http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '89 Po' White Star "Scamp"