Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Mar 2009 14:38:13 -0500
From:         Edward Duntz <eduntz@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Low compression results accurate?

I went to look at a partially-disassembled Vanagon yesterday to use for its engine in my tired '85. The parts van ('90 with auto trans and 2.1)) had a lot removed, including the computer, distributor, and battery. I wanted to do a compression test on it- the starter and transmission were still connected. I hooked up jumper cables- positive on my battery to the big terminal on the parts van starter; negative on my battery to the transmission on the parts van; and a jumper wire from the big starter terminal to the spade terminal on the solenoid. Each time I wanted to crank the engine, I held the terminal onto my positive battery terminal.

I got readings of between 80 and 90 psi on each cylinder. The results I got seemed too low to be accurate, so I was wondering if there was something else in the situation that could cause results so low. Obviously the engine had not been at operating temp before the test was done, but I couldn't control that. The starter did crank slowly, but I let it turn over enough until the gauge didn't rise any more.

The owner said the engine had run fine and had power on the highway. I suppose that you can get up to highway speeds even with low compression, albeit very slowly. But would it even start and run with compression so low?

I wanted this engine to put in my '85. I could take the whole van 9what's left of it) for a decent price and maybe part out the rest of it, but I really wanted it for the engine.

Thanks for any advice, Ed in CT