Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Mar 2009 11:49:58 -0600
From:         Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 88 Vanagon headlight socket problem
Comments: To: John Graham <theklube@gmail.com>

"> Recently I noticed that the low beams seemed weaker than they should be. I > first suspected a poor ground connection as I had installed one of Frank > Condelli's headlight relay kits before adding the higher wattage bulbs. > > I removed the black plastic grill and then unbolted the headlight buckets to > check back there. What I found is that on both sides, there was on contact > on each of the low beam headlamp connectors that was discolored/melted ! > That probably explains dimmer low beams."

I've had the same problem and replaced the plugs 2 times in 5 + years. You can get brand new 9004 plugs at almost any FLAPS ... inexpensive and easy to keep some in the glove box or other parts storage for possible on-the-road repairs. I changed my headlight grounds to grounding on the steel wall just behind the lights, so those ground wires are only about 8" long, which is a good thing. I'm not sure what's causing it, but suspect it's the 80/100's I'm running. Haven't tried using the 45/65 OE's to see if that "fixes" the problem. It's so easy to change the plugs, and I like the better lighting they give.

Bob Stevens '87 Syncro Westy