Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Mar 2009 16:53:48 -0400
From:         pickle vanagon <greenvanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Problem with Stancor 120-901 relay??
Comments: To: Rocket J Squirrel <camping.elliott@gmail.com>

As I posted earlier, the 15v version is rated to come online so long as the coil voltage is at least 11.25 volts, so 11.8 would have been plenty (even allowing for some further voltage drop before the coil). Same with the starting assist feature: a battery worth getting assistance from should have at least 11.25 volts of power, no?

As a fringe benefit, the 902's coil will draw slightly less current (.6 vs .8 amps) due to the greater coil resistance.

Comparing the two versions, the 901 has an operating range of 9v-13.2v, while the 902 has an operating range of 11.25v-16.5v. I agree that the optimum range would be somewhere between these two, but given that this is the choice, it seems like going over 13.2v could be more of a common thing then dropping below 11.25v (especially when the alternator is running!).

Then again, maybe a good choice would be to wire a 2ohm resistor inline with the coil on the 901. This should move its operating range up to 10.1v-14.9v, which is probably perfect. (Current draw would be around .67amp.) Can anybody imagine a problem with such a setup?

-Wes