Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Mar 2009 19:23:06 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>
Subject:      Re: Front Bumper-Bent From The Factory?
Comments: To: Matt Drew <t3vanagon@GMAIL.COM>

The argument of the bumper material(I hate to call it fiberglass, cuz it doesn't exhibit any of the good properties of a well made fiberglass item). If you grind on the stuff, it throws the carbon-y dust at you and fractured parts look like something made in a chopper gun mold, except they ran too much fiberglass strands and not enough resin. Not knowing the physical properties of the resin and fabric involved, I would have to say that pulling the part from the mold too soon could definitely create problems if the resin wasn't fully cured or perhaps the ratio of resin to hardener was off. I've also seen cheap polyester and isothalic(and even high quality vinylester resin that's been around too long)resin and hardener past their shelf life NEVER fully set up despite heat curing blah blah blah.

If these are knockoff bumper parts they're likely as good a quality as the chrome bumpers coming in from the third world manufacturers. If they came from VW, then I make a warranty claim and bitch bitch bitch.

I would also say the BS meter could bedoing the Chernobyl thing too.

DM&FS

At 04:54 PM 3/18/2009, Matt Drew wrote: >Good. That means that my sniffer still works. :) > >Has anyone EVER heard anything like this before? EVER? > > >On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 2:28 PM, Mike Collum <collum@myfairpoint.net> wrote: > > > Matt Drew wrote: > > > >> * Is the needle on anybody's BS meter buried? > >> > > > > The needle on my meter is bouncing against the stops. I never heard of > > anything like that before. > > > > Mike > > > >