Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Mar 2009 17:15:16 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Front Oil Seal vs Flywheel Seal vs Bob Donalds Installation
              Video

Volks,

This is great stuff! I appreciate it.

Ok, the seal in in - and it is tighter than Dick's hat band - AND it is ever so slightly below flush - like 1/32 anyway. So I guess I'm good. A little felt thingy is being sent to me to hold the grease in the pilot bearing. Now about that little supposedly NLA metal washer/sleeve whatever found on page 13.17 in the Bentley - to hold the felt washer in place .............. any ideas? or suggestions for substitutes. Makes sense to me that it should be there.

Thanks,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver.

John Rodgers wrote: > Ok - 88 GL Manual Tranny is sitting on the shop floor on a dolly. > Flywheel removed, old oil seal removed, old pilot bearing removed, seat > for both cleaned up. Flywheel clutch disc contact face cleaned and > scuffed, new flywheel "O" ring installed, new pilot bearing greased and > installed, New oil seal put in place and tapped down per Bob Donalds and > bottomed out. > > But WTF! The new seal won't recess the 1/16 below the surface of the > case as Bob specifies! It only recesses 1/32 of an inch. Hmmm~wrong > seal perhaps? A quick call to Ken Wilford, my supplier for the seal. > raised an interesting queston. How did the seal supplied copair with > others of other brand names. Well, as it turns out the two after market > seals he sell and the genuine Volkswagen OEM seals he handles are all > the same thickness. So no discrepancy there. > > This raises a question. I understand fully why Bob insisted the seal be > recessed - to avoid ripping the thing out at some point and having to do > it all over again. So with this apparent difference between how the > seals are made vs how Bob says the need to be installed - it appears > there is something missing.if the information on how to get this done > best. > > So the question. Can I remove 1/32 of material from the seal lip to get > the recess correct? Is there enough rubber that when cut back I will > still not be into the metal n the seal? It's easy enought to remove the > rubbe - simply by grinding away on a flat surface on some 320 - 600 grit > wet/dry sand paper. That will keep the lip of the seal true. > > Any suggestions anyone? > > Also, what is the proper relation of the felt washer to the pilot > bearing? Is there some other sleeve or something that goes in the > Flywheel? > > Need to know. > > Thanks, > > John Rodgers > 88 GL Driver > Chelsea, AL > >