Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Mar 2009 08:30:53 -0600
From:         "Will Snodgrass <VE6VWJ>" <ve6vwj@YAHOO.CA>
Subject:      Re: Buying a new VW - anyone have salesperson advice?

Hey David;

I do find it a little offensive to call someone a weasel (especially since I used to sell cars), Salespeople are not weasels, but they do help keep the economy going. Also; since you own your own business - your a sales person too. Do you consider yourself a weasel?

Okay, enough of my rant - A few things that you need to realize is that the wholesale price is completely different from Craigslist, or the Samba. The prices you see advertised is what people hope to get for their vehicle, what you don't see is what they actually get for their vehicles. The marketplace is the major determining factor in any negotiation, obviously the dealer wants to get as low a price for your trade-in, they may have to sell it to a wholesaler, who is definitely going to low-ball it more than what the dealer bought it from you for. I just ran your vehicle through the Black Book online estimator and came up with $24 000 CDN for the Toureg, so if they are offering you $39,000, I think your doing really good.

To give you a bit of a background on the sudden drop in price of the VW's; when VW introduced the Golf and Jetta "City" vehicles they took a huge hit on the residual values of their vehicles. The premise in the dealer world being that VW introduced a vehicle that anyone can afford. Considering that the Polo is expected to come to North America, I suspect that the residuals will drop further and put VW in the same category as a Ford or a GM vehicle (value wise). The other problem that I see VW having with residuals is that all the cars built for North America are no longer built in Germany, they are built in their Mexican plants and imported to the US and Canada - Gotta love free trade.

I don't know if you can negotiate pricing on the Jetta, but I suspect that the Jetta has about a $2000 or $3000 dollar mark-up. I don't expect that you are going to get much more off the price. The real trick to buying a vehicle and getting a huge discount - it is to buy a truck. I know that they have about a $7000 to $8000 mark-up.

I don't know if any of this helps you, but with the economy the way that it is; I would hope you can get a great deal.

Will

ps. Just so you know I am from Canada, so pricing as quoted is in Canadian dollars.

David Marshall wrote: > OK it's Friday so non Vanagon stuff is allowed on the list... this does > partain to Volkswagens so I'm OK right!? > > My wife wants to trade > in her 2006 V10 TDI Touareg (20.000km / 1 year warranty remaining - just > wants a smaller car) and get a 2009 TDI Jetta wagon. > > Anyone > have any sound advice in dealing with the car weasels er um sales people > out there? > > Using round numbers, the Jetta (full load) is 35000, > three different dealers have what we want, and the average CraigsList > private price of the Touareg is 55000 - realizing that the dealer needs to > make a living and trading a more expensive car for a less expenisive car > is always a bad thing... what is the best deal I can hope to get from a VW > dealer. The highest opening offer from the dealers is 35K for the > car (no one will move on price) and 39K for the Touareg which to me is way > low... or is it... > > Help me get in touch with the "inner > rodent" of the car sales person! > > David Marshall > VW > Adventure Driver and BMW Adventure Rider > > http://www.hasenwerk.ca > >