Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Mar 2009 22:22:22 -0400
From:         "Peter T. Owsianowski" <pnoceanwesty@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Was: dead cat kills van- What About Bad Gas
Comments: To: Courtney Hook <courtneyhook@shaw.ca>

This Cat Story got me thinking!

My brother's '85 with a 2.2 GoWesty in it won't start after sitting in his barn most of the winter. It started on the first crank, ran for 4 seconds, then died.

It has gas, spark, and is turning over well. Won't even pop one or two times. We put in new plugs turned it over, and nothing, then came out really wet. Checked the injectors and they are spraying well. Connected a known good ECU and cranked - nothing. Pumped some of the gas into a glass from two injectors and it had a really bad smell. We put the new plugs in front of the heater, then sprayed starter fluid in each cylinder, put the dried plugs back in, hooked up AFM and Viola! It started and ran wonderfully for about 8 seconds, then died and wouldn't start. Checked his gas tank level and it looked like 1/4 tank. He swears he had a 1/2 tank back in November when it started snowing here in northern Indiana.

We plan on hooking up the fuel pump and draining out the gas in there and putting in as new as we can to see if it starts.

He has a brand new Cat (last year) so it can't be that - If it is bad gas, can gas go bad in one winter? -- Pete '79 Westy "Aardvark" '87 Westy "Joe's Van" WWW.Busesbythebeach.com