Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Mar 2009 19:24:55 -0700
From:         sam mccarthy <sfcompost@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Subject: Re: Buying a new VW - anyone have salesperson advice?

We recently bought one of those over priced VW's - a 2003 Jetta TDI wagon. But, the thing is a blast to drive, is quiet and solid and behaves well on the road. And gets 42 to 47 on the highway at 75 mph and 40 combined. Now that diesel is around $2 per I am happier every day. I did notice lately, however, that the used Passat TDI's were quite reasonably priced relative to the Jetta. Not sure why, but could be that Passats ( and quantums) have always had a rep amongst vw folks of being a bit more "finnicky" than your average VW. I am hoping the high price of the used Jetta TDI's has to do with being above average in the reliability department.  By the Way, we were on the list for one of the new 09 Jetta's but after waiting months and months for it to arrive we got cold feet and found a used one.  We had a  price on the new one for around  $1000 over invoice by using a broker.  The new ones are really nice though. 140 HP up from 100, same or near same mileage, bigger and heavier, more stuff standard for about what the previuos ones sold for.  A good deal if you can get one without major dealer markup.

Sam M

Used VW's are WAY overpriced. When I bought my wifes last car it was considerably less expensive to buy a completely loaded used Audi A4 then = to buy the same year used Passat. =20

Go figure...

Bryan