Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Mar 2009 18:51:18 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Was: dead cat kills van- What About Bad Gas
Comments: To: Greg Potts <greg@pottsfamily.ca>

hi there, yes, I see the discussions that say modern gas is different than the stuff we are used to. but I will also still say that I doubt it is just the 6 months old gas that is 'the problem' keeping it from running.

it's not hard to substitute a gas can for the fuel tank, if there is doubt about the fuel , or fuel pick-up, in the main tank. I'm a real big believer in 'substitute and bypass' as a diagnostic strategy.

that means things like hot wire fuel pumps to be darn sure that's running............ running the engine off a whole other fuel source ( not that hard to do at all, and not a hazard especially if a person has half a brain ) .. and so forth. I am very aware of regional and season differences in gasoline blends. For sure add fresh fuel, and see what happens. That it fired and ran for 8 seconds , then shut off, does not make me think of the fuel very much. and right there is a good reason I like a fuel pressure gauge on it while sorting through this. you see the fuel pressure start going down, then it shuts off.........then you know what area to start working on/investigating.

I have an 87 Wolfsburg that does that. It'll fire off normally, and idle at a fast idle for 10 seconds, then just 'shut off' . Haven't spent any time on that yet ........ also very high miles on that engine , and I'm not planning to use that engine either..............and I can't say for sure it's the low compression causing that symptom.. Just wanted to mention I've seen that ...........idle fine, then just 'shut off' .

----- Original Message ----- From: "Greg Potts" <greg@pottsfamily.ca> To: "Scott Daniel - Turbovans" <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>; <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, March 21, 2009 5:25 PM Subject: Re: Was: dead cat kills van- What About Bad Gas