Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Mar 2009 17:19:11 -0500
From:         Tom Hargrave <thargrav@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Tires - Why oh why NOT?
Comments: To: Rob <becida@COMCAST.NET>

I don't believe anyone is calling you a liar or stupid.

There is a difference between underinflated, inflated to vehicle specs and the number on the sidewall.

Underinflated is running with pressure low enough to cause tire sidewall damage.

The number on the sidewall is the maximum tire pressure, also the pressure the tire should be inflated to if running at maximum load.

Somewhere in the middle is the vehicle specs and because no vehicle runs tires at max load rating, more often than not this value is less than what is on the sidewall.

While there is nothing wrong with running max tire pressure - they will just run harder & possibly wear the centers faster, the vehicle manufacture chose the values he did based on the design of the car and these pressures will give the ride the owner expects out of the car.

Thanks, Tom Hargrave www.kegkits.com 256-656-1924