Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Mar 2009 21:16:26 -0700
From:         John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: That wonderful ignature VW "chrip"!

> My son was doing this this past winter in an abandoned  parking lot > in Waterloo.  He woke up a cop napping nearby at 2AM and was promptly > written up for reckless driving.

That's a shame. He ought to have fought it, as you can't be cited for a moving violation on private property as definitively as on a public road. In the absence of any other occupants, it'd be hard for the cop to argue the was endangering life or property. I knew of an old sergeant in the army who wrapped a brand new VW bus around a light pole in an empty parking lot. He and another guy had decided to trade places while the vehicle was in motion. Both of them had been drinking, of course, but after the incident, the cops basically told the insurance company to figure it out themselves, because they couldn't say for sure who was technically driving at the time, and since it was private property, they didn't care. This was in the 70's, before the modern draconian "drunk in the car with the keys in the ignition equals DUI, even if you're sleeping in the back seat" laws, of course.

-- John Bange '90 Vanagon - "Lastwagen" '90 Vanagon GL - "Wiesel"