Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Mar 2009 23:48:23 -0400
From:         Chris S <szpejankowski@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Reinforced tires - what about other vans?
Comments: To: Allan Streib <streib@cs.indiana.edu>

Allan,

Yes, I'm arguing those same engineers that gave us our cooling, brake and A/C systems. More accurately, I'm pitting more recent engineering against VW's thinking of yore. Above all, I'm by no means overriding any tire recommendation for the 14'' wheels our vans came with.

What you folks can't see and refuse to admit is that with today's technology larger diameter tires of proper size can and do handle the weight loads of a Vanagon, a 3400 lb vehicle. I just looked up OEM tires for our 4310lb Honda Odyssey and the are rated at 1653 lbs at 44psi. (The number I quoted in the original email was simply the top of the stack pick) Are you telling that the 3400 lb Vanagon is somehow endowed to blow those tires designed to support a 4310 lb Honda Odyssey with 3 row seating plus adults and children on board?

2003 Honda GVWR: 5560lbs VW Vanagon Camper GVWR: 5160lbs.

Stock Honda tires:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Bridgestone&model=Potenza+RE92&partnum=26TR6RE92&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&place=33

2009/3/15 Allan Streib <streib@cs.indiana.edu>: > Chris S <szpejankowski@GMAIL.COM> writes: > > [...] > >> You can't argue with the facts that these vans are designed to carry >> heavy loads with 3-row seating and NONE have reinforced tires.  What >> they have are tires of sufficient size and load carrying capacity to >> get the job done.  Interesting, no? > > You also can't argue with the fact that none of those vehicles are > Vanagons, and VW has specific, clear recommended tire specifications for > Vanagons. > > I don't know your background.  Can you please enlighten me as to what > education, training, or other credentials you have that qualifies you to > override the tire recommendations of VW's design engineers? > > Allan > -- > 1991 Vanagon GL >

-- Chris S. Disclaimer: "Death and serious injury may occur"