Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Mar 2009 18:01:58 -0500
From:         Jerry <jbvelo@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Lifter adjustment... How can I tell if they are really
              hydraulics?
Comments: To: Greg Potts <greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA>

Surely you have hydraulic lifters in your WBX. When you adjust your lifters the lifters require time to bleed down to your adjustment (or self adjust). You can't compress a liquid so give your lifters time to compensate with the adjustment you make.

Basically you should have the piston at TDC(top dead center) on the compression stroke to adjust that cylinders lifters. As you know there is a notch in the front pulley which places the #1 piston at TDC. You should also place a distinguishable mark 180 degrees from the notch on the pulley. This will establish TDC for the next piston (#4 Piston) in the firing order(1432).

Adjust your lifters to 1/2 turn.

Read this article from Bob Donalds (RIP).

http://tinyurl.com/d8bxnf

JB 88GL Guido