Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Mar 2009 19:17:22 -0400
From:         Greg Potts <greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA>
Subject:      Re: Lifter adjustment... How can I tell if they are really
              hydraulics?
Comments: To: Jerry <jbvelo@bellsouth.net>

Hi Jerry,

I just re-read the Boston Engine article; I guess I had droopy lifters. Boston Bob's advice would be to revisit the job in a week or two.

As far as the TDC/engine rotation goes, I have found that rather than put a 180 degree mark on the pulley, you can get the same results with this method:

Turn the engine to TDC1 and adjust #1 intake, #1e, #2i and #4e. Then I turn the engine one complete revolution bringing it around to TDC3 and adjust #3e, #3i #4i and #2e.

It makes for less spinning of the engine between valves and it works out just the same. I do three valves on one side; then scoot over and do one on the other. Rotate the engine one full turn, then I can finish the second side, do up the bale and finish the last one on the other side and put that cover back on too. Another plus is that I don't always have to start at TDC1; if the engine is closer to TDC3 then I can start the pattern there just as easily.

Happy Trails,

Greg Potts 1973/74/79 Westfakia "Bob the Tomato" 1987 Wolfsburg Weekender Hardtop www.busesofthecorn.com www.pottsfamily.ca

Jerry wrote: > Surely you have hydraulic lifters in your WBX. > When you adjust your lifters the lifters require time > to bleed down to your adjustment (or self adjust). > You can't compress a liquid so give your lifters time > to compensate with the adjustment you make. > > Basically you should have the piston at TDC(top dead center) > on the compression stroke to adjust that cylinders lifters. > As you know there is a notch in the front pulley which > places the #1 piston at TDC. You should also place a distinguishable > mark 180 degrees from the notch on the pulley. This will establish > TDC for the next piston (#4 Piston) in the firing order(1432). > > Adjust your lifters to 1/2 turn. > > Read this article from Bob Donalds (RIP). > > http://tinyurl.com/d8bxnf > > >