Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Mar 2009 08:13:54 -0400
From:         email99 <email99@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Improving the performance of the Vanagon air conditioning fan and
              saving the switch

Poor air distribution is a significant problem with the rear mounted Vanagon air conditioning systems. After the thermostat/evaporator fan/condenser magnetic clutch switch on my '86 Westfalia failed a second time I decided to add some load handling relays in the rear to handle the high amp fan load that this switch was trying to handle. I measured the voltage available at the fan in the evaporator housing and found something like 9.5 volts, significantly less than the battery 13.4 volts. This voltage drop was the result of a weak switch and long, under sized wires and resulted in decreased fan performance. To correct this I added a 12 gauge wire (with an inline fuse) from the Distribution box in the engine compartment to a rack of four standard load reduction relays located in air conditioning housing to control the power to the AC fan motor. I also ran a 12 gauge ground wire from the fan motor to the chassis ground near by. These relays were controlled by the three wires from the dash air condition fan switch. Why did I use FOUR relays for only THREE speeds? I found that after running the fan on high speed the high speed relay would overheat and stick on. Rather than buy a high capacity relay I just wired an available second relay in parallel to the sticking relay to help carry the load and fix the sticking problem. The fan motor now operates much closer to its rated 12 volts on all three speeds although I don't remember exactly what I measured.

While I was doing this I also wired in a load reduction relay to carry the current to the compressor magnetic clutch. This might actually be redundant but I did it anyway since this would definitely supply full voltage to the clutch.

The result of this small wiring exercise is that the low fan speed is now equivalent to the old medium speed and the high fan speed is much more powerful than before, easily forcing air all the way to the front seats. I very seldom find any use for high as it blows on my neck while I'm driving.

This very simple modification that significantly increases the performance of the air conditioning system of the Vanagon and also insures that the very expensive Westfalia AC fan/thermostat switch (P/N 175 272 327, ~$246 from a list vendor) will last a long, long time without burning out.

A year before I did this relay modification I installed a second AC evaporator in the dash and a couple of years ago I added a second condenser under the bottom of the bus behind the gas tank. Each of these were significant in improving the AC performance to a level that currently entirely adequate and comfortable. If I were doing this over again I would definitely start with the relay modification first because this prevents the self destruction of the fan switch and improves the standard Vanagon air conditioning system from a very poor performer to an OK performer. The relay modification is also the cheapest of the three.

I've written about these modifications on both the Vanagon list and the SubaruVanagon Yahoo list.

I hope this helps someone.

Ed