Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Mar 2009 22:41:32 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: air cooled ignition distributor questions
Comments: To: Jonathan Poole <jfpoolio@GMAIL.COM>

'points' ............what are 'points' ???? ( joking ) how much side play is there in your distributor shaft ? there shouldn't be any . or barely any. If it moves .010 inches left/right........that's a country mile.......i.e. way too much.

position the engine with the points wide open......on top of a lobe, and move the shaft left and right ......and see how much that affects point gap .....if it is badly worn. You can see that can't work too well for too long.

I would convert to the electronic ignition and distributor for a California model air cooled vanagon. A super easy retro fit. I also have installed 83 to 85 vanagon 1.9 waterboxer distributor and ignition system onto an air cooled vanagon where there was a points distributor previously ..........with great results. I could probably come up with a 1.9 waterboxer distributor, ignitor, harness, and idle stabilizer thing if someone wanted to buy that set for converting an air-cooled points distributor vanagon to full electronic. Big advantage to having it over points igniton. Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jonathan Poole" <jfpoolio@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, March 23, 2009 1:13 PM Subject: air cooled ignition distributor questions