Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Mar 2009 12:18:19 -0700
From:         azsun99 <azsun99@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Coolant pipe *REPAIR* kit,
              was: Coolant pipe kit and distributor kit from GoWesty
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>

I agree, and for those who asked questions early on in this thread, or who have not seen the GoWesty kit OR the ends of the pipes, I offer this additional explanation. The kit is NOT a replacement for the original inserts. The pieces, and each is specific to a particular hose, fit inside the hose and are clamped in place against the end of the metal insert. I also agree that adding a screw or rivet through the pipe into the insert might create a stress point, but I think the original stress point was introduced where the ends of the pipes were flared.

Has anyone had one of the plastic pipes break or split somewhere else?

Years ago, I sat on a jury for about 4 months, in one of many lawsuits against the manufacturers and distributors of a plastic plumbing "system", used in homes and mobile homes. We heard from some very powerful "expert" witnesses, from both academia and industry, regarding "stress-fracture analysis". It was all interesting and expensive but the defendants still lost.

Jerry in AZ

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Beierl" <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 9:05 AM Subject: Re: Coolant pipe *REPAIR* kit, was: Coolant pipe kit and distributor kit from GoWesty