Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Mar 2009 10:31:42 -0500
From:         Deke Rivers <dekeriv@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Increased Idle Speed with A/C
Comments: To: joel walker <uncajoel@bellsouth.net>

I am new at this so every time I go exploring it turns out to be an adventure - as did this. There are always new discoveries. I understand more and more why we love them so much. They have such wonderful personalities.

I did as you suggest and the wire looks good and the contacts on the module are corrosion free. I found it by removing the tail-light. It was however sitting loose at the end of a cable. I see a base plug mounted on the back wall but it is not being used. Other than that all looks good. I removed and replace the module a couple of times with no change. I used a couple of cable ties to stabilize the module so it isn't loose.

Does the higher idle speed affect mileage? I assume not since the engine is normally above 2K rpm's while driving. It also affects deceleration though which is not really safe.

If I can't find a solution would it still work OK if I simply disconnected that input to the module? Has anyone ever done that?

Thanks Deke

-----Original Message----- From: joel walker [mailto:uncajoel@bellsouth.net] Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 8:21 PM To: Deke Rivers Subject: Re: Increased Idle Speed with A/C

>I have an '86 Westy with A/C. When I compressor engages the idle >speed > increases. I understand that this is as it should be. However, it > now > seems to be increasing to an excessive level. In the past it went > up about > 200 rpm's - from about 900 to 1,100. Now it is going up about 1,000 > rpm's - > from about 900 to 1,900. Is this normal? If not is there any way > to > adjust?

there is a wire that runs from the top of the compressor to the idle stabilizer module (hidden behind the passenger/right-side tail light). the module is the biggest relay-looking thingie in there, on that plugboard.

check the wire ... make sure it's connected tightly and not frayed. if so, check the module ... wiggle it out (VERY difficult, so don't be in a hurry) and clean the contacts. shake it and see if it sounds like any water got inside ... no joke. then plug it back into the plugboard. wouldn't hurt to unplug/replug several times to scrape off the corrosion on the contacts.

if the bus runs ok without the a/c on, both cold and warm, one of those two (the wire or the module) should be the cause.

good luck! joel