Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Mar 2009 07:58:06 -0700
From:         Stephen Grisanti <bike2vcu@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Front Behr A/C.
Comments: To: Warren Chapman <vwsyncroguy@YAHOO.COM>

"DO ditch the plenum in the late model vans would make a big improvement...have to find a new facing for the front of the cabinet to hide the grove cut into it for the rear edge of the plenum... and some outlet vent/vane thing."

I removed this A/C enclosure when the interior came out for soundproofing and never reinstalled that piece.  Without it the rear fan blows a LOT of air forward to the front seats.  It also provides more headroom above the rear bench seat.  We put a bungee net there that runs forward from hooks I installed along the front bottom of the A/C cabinet to hooks I installed along the bottom of the steel rib at the rear edge of the roof opening.

We use this net for pillow storage mostly, but when driving on hot days remove the pillows for better air conditioning airflow.  The pillows also help mask the unfinished look of the opening when the A/C is not in use.  I found a vent grill that exactly covers the opening but never installed it.  The groove could be filled with modeling clay (easily removed if the enclosure needs to be reinstalled for any reason) if cosmetics is that big a deal.

Stephen