Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Mar 2009 16:09:31 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Grill fix glue?
Comments: To: Rob <becida@COMCAST.NET>

At 02:45 PM 3/26/2009, Rob wrote: >It's time to try and fix my '84 Vanagon grill, the lower grill has a >couple of broken slats and I have the slats. >Any recommendations on glue that works well for this type of plastic?

The Goop-goop may indeed work well, but there's not much surface area and the plastic is pretty brittle by now. If you want a repair that's as durable as the original I'd recommend to wash it well, wipe the back with alcohol to degrease, scuff it well with extremely coarse sandpaper, alcohol wipe again to get the dust off and lay on a strip a couple inches long of glass cloth well saturated with slow-curing epoxy (you'll know it's saturated when it's completely transparent, no little opaque streaks). If you don't mind the repair showing, mask the front and extend the preparation carefully onto it, then use the same strip instead to wrap completely around the break. That repair should be bulletproof, at least for microscopic bullets. But the other should do well enough I think.

You'll need to splint it while it cures -- carve some styrofoam or layers of cardboard glued together to match the curve, put a layer of polyethylene (sandwich-bag material, polythene for the Brits) or Saran wrap between it and the epoxy, and tie or tape it firmly on each side of both breaks. The plastic will release cleanly when it's fully cured, leaving a glossy surface (I suspect that if you bring the repair to the front, the natural surface will be less conspicuous than glossy, but if you want glossy that's how to get it). Keep your epoxy-mixing surface nearby to test for cure.

Sounds like a lot of work, but it isn't really, once you get your materials together. With slow-cure epoxy you should be able to prep all the needed repairs and make your splints, then mix epoxy and saturate all your strips of glass, then apply and splint each repair within the 90-minute working time of the epoxy. Be absolutely sure to err on the side of less hardener rather than more -- with too little hardener it will cure slower, but with too much it will never cure entirely hard, you'll be able to dent it with a fingernail. I spent ten years struggling with epoxy before my dad taught me this. The double-syringes make this easy if you press evenly and then give a little extra press on the resin side at the end. The resin is the thicker stuff, in case they're not marked, and the fact that the hardener is thinner contributes to the problem, because it flattens out and looks like less than it is.

You don't want filled epoxy like JB-Weld for this, it won't saturate the cloth. But in a pinch a thick, thicker the better, lump of filled epoxy extending well to either side of the break and faired in at the ends should serve adequately. Or half a clean popsicle stick instead of glass cloth, etc etc. The idea for a non-wraparound repair is to get plenty of area to increase peel strength, then use something that's tough and strong in tension; and try to arrange things so that the glue bond will be stressed in shear as much as possible, i.e. along the thin dimension rather than across it.

-- David Beierl - Providence RI USA -- http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '89 Po' White Star "Scamp"