Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Mar 2009 14:16:03 +0000
From:         David Wilhite <dlwilhite@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Carrying a Scooter

Since this comes up from time to time, I placed some links to some photos of my scooter tied down to a Hitch Hauler on the back of my Westy.  Hopefully, the links will work okay, I don't have too much time to spend on this kind of stuff.

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dqvmg42_42f39v5gww

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dqvmg42_40cj8fbddm

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dqvmg42_38wpqdnkhg

I had planned on making a carrier like the steel/alumium ones you can get off of ebay for <$150, but happened to find out that my scooter fit on the steel framed Hitch Hauler just fine, so I'm saving some money for the time being.  This particular hauler is pretty heavy, but it'll work for now.  I'm working on a design to incorporate 8020 style aluminum extrusion and I prefer this material due to it's light weight and opportunity for various mounting options.

For everyone worried about weight, the bumper mounts (C shape) extend far into the frame of the Vanagon and uses extra bolts to mount to the frame.  It is a much sturdier mount than you will find on some aftermarket bumpers, but there are a few available out there that do something similar to extend into the frame.  The scooter itself weighs just under 200 lbs.

All that being said, I would like to get some air springs to put in the coils in the back to help a bit when loaded up.  It's not too bad as it sits right now, but if I really load up with camping gear, it does get a little saggy back there.

David Wilhite

84' Westy

Middle TN