Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Mar 2009 13:46:08 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: diagnosis--blown piston ring?
Comments: To: Ben S <phlogiston420@GMAIL.COM>

It's not the end of the world...........it's repairable , even with engine in place. it won't be a 'full rebuild good for 100,000 miles' or anything like that, but..........

since oil is puking out of the dipstick, it's reasonable to assume the low compression is from piston/rings on that cylinder, and not from burnt valves. The pistons and barrels are replaceable individually. ( boring or the barrel isn't normally done, replacing the pistons and barrels in sets is standard repair method ) But you could..........pull that head, engine in place in the car, and remove that piston from the connecting rod ............... it's a little tricky ......... the pistons are removed starting from the rear bumper end of the engine ..........that means #'s 2 and 4 are 'just one step' to remove'.......... pull up the barrel until the wrist pin clip is exposed, remove the clip, pull the wrist pin out, remove the piston from the connecting rod - but ....... for #'s 1 and 3, the 'forward' pistons, you remove those AFTER taking out the piston and barrel 'in front of it' ......so it would help ease things if the bad piston is at the rear of the engine, ........# 2 or 4. It helps to heat the piston gently to get the wrist pin to slide out.

since you just need to keep it working half-decently for a year........you can put on a good used piston and barrel in that one spot. don't forget the rest of the engine could be 'close' to being pretty shot too. Ideally, it's one bad piston/rings, and you still have 3 medium ok. Also do valve work on that head too.

yes, disconnect the injector wire so you're not spraying fuel into that dead cylinder, and diluting the oil with raw fuel.

it might be tricky to do in the street, especially with having to move it every few days.

rod bearings........a weak area in 2.1's since the connection rod bolts stretch, lowering oil pressure, after very high miles.

A lot of people would say your whole engine has had it, and you need a whole new good used one, or a rebuilt. If you don't mind hard dirty work, and possible limited life of the results, it is patchable. I sold a used piston and barrel for a 1.9 waterboxer engine to a guy about 2 years ago....... that worked out just fine for him. Though at 180,000 miles on a 2.1 ...........there's concern. I'd say as long as you don't mind if it doesn't work perfectly forever, .........and you don't mind hard grubby dirty work in the street.......it's doable. There is risk for sure, even risk that you'll fix one cylinder only to find out the others are close to death anyway.

it's a westy though..........always a valuable vanagon. good used engine is your best option, if you can find one that's decent, and at a fair price, and if you don't mind doing a whole engine swap in the street, if that's the only place you can find to do the work. I'd say bring it to my shop , along with your good used engine, and we'll do the swap for a very fair deal., but I think you are too far away, considering how your van is right now. I'm in the very southern end of Oregon. Hope you get someting going that works for a while at least !

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ben S" <phlogiston420@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, March 27, 2009 12:00 PM Subject: diagnosis--blown piston ring?