Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 31 Mar 2009 16:31:09 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Flywheel Sleeve - WBX 2.1L

OK,

I have tried all the suggestions and found them all wanting in one way or another. Even the bushing promised has not shown up.

My final solution: The machine shop gets the flywheel in the morning and a newly machined bushing is going to be pressed into the wheel. End of story.

It's a h*ll(deference to the moderators) of thing to have to go through for an $0.80 part that is crucial.. VW ought to have it's collective butt kicked for this nonsense.

John Rodgers 88' GL Driver

John Rodgers wrote: > This has become an issue with me. When the transmission was removed from > my van, it was discovered this sleeve was missing, as well as the felt > washer that is also supposed to be there. > > Here's the deal.... > > The flywheel has a sleeve pressed into the hole in the center of the > wheel. The sleeve fits flush on the front (front of the vehicle site) > side of the wheel, and leaves a recess on the back side(crankshaft > flange side) of the wheel. A felt washer fits into the recess and > together they serve as a seal to the front of the needle bearing in the > end of the crank with the felt against the bearing. The transmission > input shaft goes through this whole assembly of flywheel, sleeve, felt > washer and into the needle bearing in the end of the crank. > > The rub. When a flywheel goes to the machine shop for refacing during a > clutch job, the sleeve gets punched out so the wheel will fit right on > the lathe for proper alignment for refacing of the wheel. Trouble is, > the sleeves never get put back in. Apparently the machinists think the > sleeve is one of those little pieces that gets replaced during the > repair, so he doesn't other with keeping up with it. The wheel goes back > to the shop, and the mechanic there doesn't know the difference or > doesn't care, and puts it back together without the felt washer and > sleeve. With no sleeve and felt asher, in time needle bearing grease > works it's way along the input shaft to the clutch disk face and trouble > begins. > > After talking with a lot of people, it appears some mechanics don't > think these two little parts are significant, while others feel they > are. I had a nice little chat with Daryl at AA Transaxle and he told me > that he sees numerous tranny input shafts damaged due to loss of the > grease which resulted from no felt washer and flywheel sleeve to hold > the grease in place. He recommended they be installed. After careful > consideration I agree. It makes sense. It was engineered that way for a > reason, so I am going to effect the proper repair on this - it gets a > sleeve and felt washer. > > Here's the rub. All of the list vendors carry the felt washer, but > nobody including some VW dealers parts departments has the flywheel > sleeve. I find that really odd. With out the sleeve, the felt washer can > back away from the needle bearing assembly by a full inch at least. What > good does the felt washer do in that position. > > So - does anyone have a clue where this sleeve can be acquired. It is a > simple piece, and I feel it important for a proper repair, yet I cannot > find it. > > Thanks, > > Regards, > > John Rodgers > 88 GL Driver > >