Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2009, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 Mar 2009 01:20:15 -0400
From:         Michael Tevis <michaeltevis@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Gear oil in the Automatic fluid

Hello group,

I have a customer who has gear oil in their automatic fluid. I did some research (both on the archives here and several other sites) and found which seals are commonly to blame. I called one of the major Vanagon parts retailers and told them the problem with the automatic and that I needed the seals to fix it. I didn't receive the mainshaft seals that go back to back and those are the ones that seem to be to blame. So, I called the major transmission rebuilder in Oregon who does automatics and a major one here in california and they both told me that the transmission needs a rebuild because the differential bearings wear cause the mainshaft to have some play and then the seals go bad. They both said that was the only cause of the seal failure.

Who am I to argue with people who rebuild them for a living? It's just tha in the past on several forums nothing about the bearing was mentioned, just the seals.

On this trasmission the bearings on the differential on the sides where the output flanges are seem quite tight. Seemingly not enough to make a shaft that doesnt even ride on them wobble enough to make a leak.

Now that the fluids have exchanged a rebuild may be due because the clutches might be soaked in gear oil and the differential might be damaged if it has been running in thin automatic fluid. Assuming this problem was caught quickly and those parts are ok is a rebuild really necessary or is it really ALWAYS a sign of worn differential bearings?

thanks!