Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Apr 2009 16:53:51 -0400
From:         Greg Potts <greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>

Hi Scott,

Once you know what you're doing a baywindow bus is not hard to work on. I can have the 1972-79 engine on the ground in about 65 minutes. Engine removal is even quicker on a pre-72. Working hunched over on a vanagon engine I get a crick in my back after 20 minutes.

Remember, the 73-79 buses also had a hatch above the engine. Not quite as big as the vanagon hatch but it's definitely useful.

OTOH, dropping a vanagon engine is a huge PITA with all the coolant pipes. I was also surprised at how little clearance there is at the side of the engine when it comes time to do a valve adjustment.

And as for heat: an eberspacher BN-4 or BA-6 gas furnace makes heat a LOT quicker than any vanagon engine can, even one with a block heater. And it can be run without the engine idling.

FI was introduced in the bay in 1975 for North America; and in 1974 for California automatics. I retrofitted the system into my own bus about 5 years ago and it works great.

Another thing to remember is that the baywindow bus also outperforms the vanagon in cargo capacity by about 500 lbs.

Happy Trails,

Greg Potts 197x baywindow westfakia "Bob the Tomato" 1987 Wolfsburg Weekender 7-passenger hardtop. www.pottsfamily.ca www.busesofthecorn.com