Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Apr 2009 14:26:53 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Where is Mecca?
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>

Some factors in why the West Coast rules when it comes to VW's and VW Buses, and thus Vanagons :

One, Southern California is the home of hot rod cars. The idea and culture started there. 'Little Duce Coupe' and all that ........it's deeply woven into the Southern California culture and lifestyle. So loving and saving and modifying cars is a way of life for millions of people, there , and in the West in general. Two- Desert racing took off in Southern California starting in the late 60's. A huge part of that was all VW Bug based..........tube frame custom desert racers with pumped up air-cooled bug type engines, and most ironically, the Meyers Manx Dune Buggy. I raced in the very first Mexican 1000 Baja Off Road Race in 1967 ( not in a VW though ) and Bruce Meyers himself, the originator of the shortened Bug pan based fiberglass body Dune Buggy was in the race too. This started a huge movement of desert racing.....racing .cars, modified and performance parts etc. ............a HUGE industry in southern California , and still going today, a large part of it VW based. You can even build a Baja Bug , and spend 70,000-plus dollars building a race-grade Baja Bug.,.......build it up from the ground up, and not use one single stock VW part, yet every part is based on a VW part, and often will work on stock VW's ..........yet it's all custom - stuff like 3 shocks with remote reservoirs on each rear wheel, for example - so, huge VW history going back 50 years, and doing just 'everything' with them, and to them.

Three...........Beach and Surf Culture , and the VW Bus. The VW Micro Bus ..........whatever you want to call it, was THE surf/beach Iconic vehicle, along with the Ford Woody Station wagon. Gazillons of custom and show and performance VW Buses have been built..........all over as well, like say Kansas,, yes, , but most of all in Southern California I suspect. The VW Bus segues to the Vanagon of course.

Four - climate and culture. On most of the west coast, of the populated areas, from south of somewhere north of San Francisco down to Mexico...........the weather is NICE.......nice weather about 7 or even 8 months of the year, or darn close to that. . And winters are wet, at the worst, mainly. There is no 6 months of slogging through ice and yuck and snow . There's no salt used on the roads. It's dry and sunny a lot. Unless you park your VW Van under a redwood tree in Guerneville in Sonoma Country, which does have wet winters................your van isn't going to get moss growing on it, or upholstery moldy smelling, or whatever, like it could in damper climates. The nice weather means it's easier to work on cars and VW vans most months of the years. There are just many ways the climate and culture are conducive to loving cars............the classic VW Bus being right up there in cultural icon status. Haight -Asbury and the whole hippie thing, for example. The vangon is kind of the VW Micro Bus grown up. Vastly better in every way, yet relatively lacking in true cache and soul-pizzazz like those early goofy even crude Buses. . The Vanagon is what's left over from that VW Bus colure hay-day let's say, in terms of VANS, not cars.

The culture part - Southern California, and California in general ( aside from Silicon Valley and electronics ) is a CAR CULTURE. Cars are a big, big deal there. Less so I'd say, than in much of the East. For areas like Oregon, Washington in particular, ( and all of California ) ............vanagons just make good cozy sensible vehicles to haul people in, or go camping in, etc. . Kind of a very natural part of it's element. Yeah, it's a 'natural' in the West, and the West itself supports their existence mainly climatically and culturally, and infrastructure of course..........not hard to get Vanagon parts anywhere in the West, for example - . Especially if you know where to shop or look in junkyards. Vanagons are still on the rising part of the curve, of their Usefulness and Development. And the whole West, in general, supports that. For example, there are lot of Syncro's in ski-country Colorado - another case of a vehicle perfectly evolved and adapted to its envirnoment, another 'Natural' . No wonder there are a lot of vanagons yet, especially in the West. And there's no real replacement for them, not quite, all things considered.

Did I mention I'm working on 7 of them to sell ? . Six of them are West Coast, 'no rust' ones too, and mostly 'no dents' as well. I post a list of them.

And let's treasure every one, and no parting out them unles they are really rusted or crashed. They're too precious to waste. And let's get a lot out of them while driving, roads, and gettting fuel are as we know it currently. The way things are going with electronics and goverenment, it's easy to suspect that in 20 years, or surely by 30 years from now, the goverment wil control what and where we drive, and computers will do the driving on computer controlled roads, and there won't be driving as we know it now. Hopefully that won't happen .........but it's easy for me to think that's the direction things are going .............let's treasure and use what we have now .........cause it looks like the age of the car is ending, and the age of the electron is taking over. A Volkswagen V-10 TDI Tourareg SUV won the 2009 Dakar Rally in South America recently by the way................ a vehicle that is only very distantly related to the Vanagon, but it IS related ! Scott Daniel Foss www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Rodgers" <inua@CHARTER.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, April 03, 2009 11:34 AM Subject: Re: Where is Mecca?