Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Apr 2009 18:30:59 -0500
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Digital Bently, Scanning for PDF
Comments: To: Bill Shawley <easywind1975@hotmail.com>

The PDF bentley is unauthorized, of course, and using the list to distribute it puts the integrity of the list in jepoardy.

That said, I too consider my PFD as a back up copy, on a disk in the cabinet of my westy in case I ever need assistance and don't want to leave my bentley with a shop in the middle of nowhere while I might need access to bentley info at a different location.

But I figured the ultimate would be putting it on my ipod touch. There is a great little app to do that called files. You connect the ipod wirelessly and it give you a url to log into on your desktop and whatever you drag into the desktop window instantly appears in Files. Files reads jpgs, spreadsheets, word docs and pdfs. But it doesn't do well with pdfs over 30 megs, which the bentley is. So I set to work one night in acrobat pro removing all the pages that didn't pertain to my car.

The size stayed the same as the full manual! I have a much reduced set of pages, but still can't read it on the iPod.

Maybe a later version of Files will fix the problem. In the meantime, my throwaway version is on the CD.

Jim

On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 5:19 PM, Bill Shawley <easywind1975@hotmail.com> wrote: > Yeah the pdf floating out there would suck as a primary source, its all the pages in one file, no TOC or way to navigate.  I enjoy the actual book.  I do carry a cd-rom in the van with the bentley pdf and lists from the vanagonauts rescue squad and some other hope I never need info.  For full disclosure I paid the man for the book I consider the pdf a backup copy.  For those not so concerned with such copyright matters get a bit torrent client and head on over to isohunt.com for all you service manual needs.... > > > > Ryan > > >> Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 15:06:13 -0700 >> From: starwagen@GMAIL.COM >> Subject: Re: Digital Bently, Scanning for PDF >> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >> >> And the .pdf version I've seen is very hard to use... > > _________________________________________________________________ > Rediscover HotmailŪ: Get quick friend updates right in your inbox. > http://windowslive.com/RediscoverHotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Rediscover_Updates1_042009