Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Apr 2009 17:58:07 -0700
From:         David Kao <dtkao0205@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: LVC: Learning Electricity & Testers

Whether you use a cheap or an expensive high end analog or digital Volt/Ohm/Amp meter there are two easily made mistakes to avoid when using it. Any of the two mistakes could cause damage to the meter and the circuit being tested.

When use the Ohm meter functions you want to make sure the power (battery) is disconnected from the circuit being measured or tested. Existence of power could overload the meter and cause damage to it. If you are measuring a bulb or a resistor on your hand there is no power existing on the bulb and resistor. If you measure them in circuit better make sure power is turned off.

The 2nd mistake is to measure current (amperage) across two points in the circuit where there is a voltage difference between the two. It would be a short circuit to the two points by connecting the test leads of an AMP meter on them. This will cause damage to the meter and possibly to the circuit being measured.

If the meter is set to voltage measurement mode you can measure any two points in any circuit with power on. Set the meter to a proper range for the measurement. Nothing could be damaged.

Just in case you have no idea about these stuff. They may not be obvious even in good learning books.

David > > > > On 8/6/07, Anthony Egeln <regnsuzanne@yahoo.com> > > wrote: > > > After reading all the posts on solar power, I now > > realize that I know shockingly little about > > electricity.....don't know an amp from a watt from > a > > volt.  Can someone who knows about such things please > > recommend a good, easy-to-read book that would be an > > electrical primer.  I want to learn about electricity > > not just for solar applications but also home and auto > > applications.  At some point I'd like to be able > to do > > all these vanagon electrical tests myself and even > wire my > > future retirement home.