Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2009, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 5 Apr 2009 10:25:30 -0700
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: These German ATE Pads ever sold by VW Dealerships as OEM?
              (pics)
Comments: To: Tom Hargrave <thargrav@hiwaay.net>

2009/4/5 Tom Hargrave <thargrav@hiwaay.net>: > Brake pad technology evolves just like tire technology does. And a lot of > things drive changes, like the removal of asbestos from brake pads or new & > better compounds. The last thing I would be worried about is the color of > the pads. > > The best pads available today are the modern ceramic pads. They wear well, > brake well, dust little and are not hard on your rotors like the earlier > ceramic pads were. And the best part is they are probably available from > your local "big box" parts store! > >

Thanks Jake and Tom

My supplier also has PBR Deluxe "organic" pads. I read that some don't feel they have as good stopping power as a metallic or semi metallic and may allow brake fade faster than some.

I know Jake you've mentioned using PBR "metal masters". Something to check out.

And FWIW, I had a recommend for the Raybestos "Deluxe" though they appear to be a pad geared toward reduced rotor wear (no metal content)

Seems I can't have everything, (slower rotor wear + excellent stopping power + reduced brake fade) but if I continue to drive like I don't need the brakes, then maybe rotor wear due to semi metallic or metallic pads will be very little.

I just wanted to get the right pads onto virgin rotor metal right from the get go.

Thanks for the input!

Neil. -- Neil Nicholson '81 VanaJetta 2.0 "Jaco"

http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines